Tuesday, July 05, 2016

featured apprentice | Jess Amy Shead

Apprentice Jess Amy Shead finished her last box office shift here at PT and is eagerly preparing for her final apprentice project, ANY NIGHT opening this Wednesday, July 8th. Here's what Jess had to say about the apprenticeship and her plans for the summer.


What was your favourite part of the apprenticeship?
My favourite part of the Apprenticeship was having the space to build more creativity into my every day life. I had somewhere to go every day to do what I loved. I have worked on about 8 Artistic projects over the past 10 months! It is amazing to think of how much of my life I have been able to infuse with creativity, and how I will be able to carry that forward beyond this Apprenticeship.

In what ways have you grown artistically/professionally over the past 11 months?
Thinking back to our first project, THE DROWNING GIRLS, I cannot believe how much I have grown. Through that show I learned how to think and talk intelligently about a piece of theatre, and form my own opinions on its relevancy, effectiveness, and politics. All of these things prepared me to wrestle with the issues at hand in ANY NIGHT before deciding, with Julia, to produce it. And now that we're doing it, it feels like a brand new way of looking at theatre and my Art.

What are your plans for the summer?
I am back working as the Artist Services Coordinator at the Vancouver Fringe Festival, my sister is having a baby, and I'm planning to enjoy the sunshine as much as possible!

What are you most excited for now that the apprenticeship is over?
I am excited to work with all of the incredible people I met through this Apprenticeship. It's a really lovely feeling to know I am more connected to the Theatre Community here in Vancouver, and I can't wait to see where that goes.

Do you have a next project in mind?
Right now I'm thinking about the fact that I'll be back here at Christmas to be in HOLY MO! A CHRISTMAS SHOW, and how exciting that is! I also think that once ANY NIGHT has closed, I will be able to dream about exciting projects Julia and I can do and make together! Until then - ANY NIGHT  is all I got on my mind!

Thanks for all your hard work and smiles, Jess. See you soon!

No comments: