Thursday, June 28, 2012

jun 28-30 | not everything you are | director's statement

Apprentice and director of NOT EVERYTHING YOU ARE, Kimberley Dawn, on her inspiration to tackle a collective creation for her final project at PT.





I have always been a lover of words; words tell stories, with them we can communicate a heartbeat-moment. My words are likely to take the form of a poem, a blog, a rant or an exaggerated anecdote, and sometimes they take to the stage.

My current role in life is Directing Apprentice at Pacific Theatre. It’s a job that teaches a lot about theatre from the inside, all the while allowing me opportunities to do artistic projects of one sort or another.

This current show Not Everything You Are came to me, like the re-birth of the phoenix, out of the ashes of another show. I am so genuinely excited to take the joy-lifeblood that I had poured into the first project, and pour it unabashedly into this new one. The morning after I buried my first show, I saw this video and for the first time in almost a month, I believed it, there was “joy not far from here”. And that is how this show, my little squalling phoenix, was born.

I wanted to make a show about the journey we’re all on, the way we’re always between things, the ways in which we strive, fail, try again and what makes us want to even bother. Our first brainstorming session as an ensemble was astonishingly coherent: the strong pattern that emerged from our seven minds was this. We were interested in the moments and space between life’s many paradoxes.

Over the next few weeks our team will be writing, editing, piecing and pinning this show together and have no fear, I will definitely keep you in the loop!

-Kimberley Dawn
Director, NOT EVERYTHING YOU ARE

No comments: