Tuesday, February 15, 2011

my name is asher lev | audience response

MY NAME IS ASHER LEV has opened and the reviews are pouring in!  We'd love to hear your thoughts as well - post a comment below, on our website, or facebook wall.


"Thank you for Asher Lev. I thought it was one of the best productions I have seen for a long time. Like so many, I too, read the novel 30+ years ago and it stayed with me till today. Your production was a synthesis of everything that is good about theatre - a rare case of the wonder full agreement of actors, script and audience working together in seamless harmony. My congratulations to Morris for his admirable leadership in forging the alchemy required for the designers, actors and technicians to exceed all expectations. Bravo. With respect and admiration, Simon Johnston (Artistic & Executive Director, Gateway Theatre)

"Thank you for creating this wonderful production of My Name is Asher Lev. It was a perfect evening of theatre - a touching, funny, disarmingly honest performance by all three actors. I am coming back this week to see it again." | Sally McLean, email

"I am a huge fan of the books by Chaim Potok (The Chosen and My Name is Asher Lev) and I loved both the book and the play adaptation of the latter. I have always admired how the productions staged at Pacific Theatre brilliantly creates a bigger world in a small space. Such creative challenges must be a treat for the production staff :) My Name is Asher Lev was extremely well acted by all three actors. Special mention to Mr. Nathan Schmidt whose fluid transition to various male characters in a continuous scene makes you forget that they are being played by one actor only. That takes a lot of focus and attention to the characters distinct details. I highly recommend this moving and intelligent play. | Karlo Santos, email

"The play’s surprisingly visceral power is also very much due to the work of director Morris Ertman and his strong and supremely talented cast. ... My Name Is Asher Lev is a triumph on the stage." | Steven Schelling, The Westender

"My Name is Asher Lev shows considerable intelligence and honest emotionality. ... The playwright, as well as this production, presents Asher’s formative relationships with passion and delicacy. Nathan Schmidt plays a number of characters, including Asher’s furiously intelligent father, a rambunctious uncle, and the crusty Kahn. Impressively, Schmidt disappears into these roles. And there is no more transparent actor in town than Katharine Venour. Her portrait of Rivkeh is skinless—and moving. In his Vancouver debut, Giovanni Mocibob, a recent arrival from Alberta, commands the stage as Asher." | Colin Thomas, The Georgia Straight

"All the male roles--Aryeh Lev, the Rebbe, Kahn--are excellently portrayed by Nathan Schmidt by simply removing a hat or putting on a prayer shawl. ... Katharine Venour portrays the women, including Asher's long-suffering mother and the chic gallery owner with an artistic prodigy on her hands. Venour, as always, is compelling: a quiet, sorrowing mother modestly dressed in headscarf and somber garb and Anna, quick and assertive in her little hat, bright green suit and fur stole." | Jo Ledingham, Vancouver Courier

"The production, My Name is Asher Lev, was outstanding......very powerful. And the acting was excellent. My husband and I have been recommending the play to our friends." | Anita Bowes, email

‎"Yesterday evening my friends and I attended My Name is Asher Lev. On behalf of my friends and myself I want to say how excellent the production was. From the moment the play started until it's ending we were totally engaged with the characters." -audience email

"i was so, so impressed with this show. man, i'm always amazed at what you folks can make me believe in that little space. this show should receive an award for its amazing set design as well as its acting. that was just brilliant." facebook

"I was very deeply moved by the play. Also, I invited my brother (and partner) from Edmonton to come and see the play on the next weekend. We discussed it. The play’s script, artistic set design and use of props and theatrical devices were all very good but I think that it was good because the drama of the conflict and the believability of the characters was so thorough." | Ed Konrad

"Pacific Theatre has done it again, giving us another little gem of a play. ... I was completely caught up in this battle between these two immovable forces - the implacable demand of the father that his son value faith over art, and the inescapable drive of the son to follow his creative drive. It is a heart-wrenching play, beautifully done and well worth seeing." | Gillian Lockitch, Review From the House

"My Name Is Asher Lev continues in the tradition of Pacific Theatre to bring its audiences shows that are spiritually uplifting." | John Jane, Review Vancouver

"Growing up I never had the opportunity to read Potok’s novel, but through this stage adaptation it is easy to see how it could have had a profound effect on any young man (or woman) struggling with their own questions about life. And while I may be too old now for the story to have that same effect, My Name is Asher Lev still managed to touch me, knowing that my struggle to find my own answers was worth it. Such is the power of passion. Such is the power of life." | Mark Robins, GayVancouver.net

"wow -that was awesome tonight! i was spellbound and hardly moved an inch the whole way through. this story hits home." Bev, facebook

"Just returned from the show. Just excellent, in all aspects. Simple but dramatic staging, well performed. And character development, which is why the theatre. Thank you!" | John Goodwin, facebook

"All in all, My Name is Asher Lev is yet another strong example of work from Pacific Theatre, and I’d recommend you check it out." | Darren Barefoot, darrenbarefoot.com

"Last night I saw this brilliant performance at the Pacific Theatre, this moving story had the audience focussed on the 3 actors who played multiple characters." | Richard Wolak, Taste and Sip

"Wonderful production of Asher Lev, well done Giovanni and welcome to the Vancouver theatre scene. Wonderful performance Kathryn as always. The "model" scene was very creatively and sensually done, very tasteful!! Thank you PT for another wonderful evening of theatre." | Fiona Topp, facebook

"Minimalist sets and strong performances make Asher Lev @PacificTheatre surprisingly stong! Go see it! http://pacifictheatre.org/" | @WEVancouver, twitter

"Brought the family to see Asher Lev tonight. Just about the best thing I've seen at Pacific Theatre. Magnificent storytelling, wonderful actors. Great directing and lighting, perfectly scored music. I felt like the audience was participating in a living painting. So moving that a couple of times I just wanted to break down crying. But I didn't as I thought I might disrupt the play with my nose-blowing." | Ruth Dallas Rich, facebook

"Want to sense the tension between being who you are as artist, and what is expected? Must see My Name is Asher Lev @PacificTheatre" | @RoseMariArt, twitter

"@PacificTheatre a standing ovation for #mynameisasherlev! #ilovetheatre #WOW" | @JustinneRamirez, twitter

"Saw Asher Lev yesterday… it’s been a very long time since I’ve been so moved by theatre. All three characters were amazing in their emotional range — Nathan, though, was especially brilliant. It took me a few hours post-performance to regain my equilibrium, and I am left pondering themes of love, acceptance, and the resilience of the human spirit…" | sheila, website comment

"Get your tickets for My Name is Asher Lev! It was amazing!! Go see it now!" | Vanessa Hui, facebook

My Name Is Asher Lev runs at Pacific Theatre until February 25

No comments: