Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas Presence Preview: Meet Garth Bowen

Without further ado... Garth Bowen!

PT: Introduce Yourself
GB: I run the Music Department at Hugh Boyd Secondary School in Richmond B.C. I have had a great deal of experience playing in Christian music circles, from opening for big name acts in the 70's to traveling with the Graham Ord Band in the 90's. Currently, I do a lot of extra curricular events with students and also help to prepare them for the life ahead in music or life in general. I also run my own side business, "Our House Music," producing others, writing and recording, performing and supporting the arts in a variety of ways.

PT: How long have you been involved in Christmas Presence?
I've been involved in CP since the very beginning, having worked with Ron and cast in the first PT staging of Cotton Patch Gospel. Ron and I have been friends, fellow parishoners, and neighbors since our kids were very small. My wife and Ron's wife Carol are also good friends.

PT: What's your favourite aspect of being involved in Christmas Presence?
GB: I'd have to say that CP is my favorite event, although I've seen some amazing plays over the years. Father Damien is one of those. I really enjoy working with other musicians who believe in PT. It's an opportunity for me, a non actor, to be able to step on stage and be a part of the goodness of the vision.


PT: What other music-related projects are you working on right now?
GB: I started producing a demo record for a young local artist I believe shows a great deal of promise. I'm working on a new recording of my own. I'm teaching music composition to an eager group of students who are keen to write and make music. I'm also involved with music and art in my church and working with other musicians in the lower mainland.

PT: If you weren't playing music, what would you spend your time doing?
GB: I'm very involved teaching and doing extra work with young people, so when I find myself with free time I spend a lot of it playing music, writing, meeting with other musicians, and working on self made musical projects in my home studio. I also love my summer life up the coast cruising the nooks and crannies of the Sunshine coast.

No comments: